Friday, August 15, 2014

Do Workplace Romances....WORK?



Dating someone that you also work with....WORK?

I don't know about y'all, but I have concluded that the two just should NOT mix. I have only ever granted one exceptions in my experience; working for the same company but separate departments - other than that... No way Jose! I only grant the first one because if you work at a big company people won't even know who you're with half the time. That was my experience. Some I was with got me a job where he was working but we worked in different buildings and no one in my building knew him so they couldn't really be in my business and it seemed to be the same way on his end. Now on the flip side I had a boyfriend and we worked in the same store, same building, different companies. We started dating and everyone knew and everyone was always in our business!! It was so annoying! I just cannot get down with it anymore unless times of desperation call and one of us becomes unemployed.

That said, I thought I would lay out some tips to handling at work relationships if you are considering it.

1. DON'T DO IT! RUNNN THE OTHER WAY! 

....(But, if you just HAAAVE to have this person, read on.

2. Choose wisely! 
Whoever thought guys did not gossip like women do must live under a huge rock! Especially if you have that (perhaps) regrettable one-nighter, or regular little rendezvous with someone - be a decent judge of character that he'd keep it hush! (We won't get into how I learned that lesson).

3. Don't broadcast the relationship...especially if it's new. 
One word: JINX. Seems like the moment you get too excited about something that's barely happened, the moment passes and it's over! Let the relationship season. I personally wouldn't even tell anyone until it get's serious to the point where you're adding each other to the "Emergency Contact" form at work. Yeah, that serious.

4. JUST SKIP THE WHOLE IDEEEEA!!! 
(Still just have to have this person? Ugh, ok....)


5. Telling your coworkers about the relationship so they stay away from him/her? BAD IDEA!
HA!! You just put a big, fat target on the back of your significant other!!! We've all heard about those people who love a challenge ---> a person who's committed/married. These twisted minded people are going to go right for you man/woman just to see if they can get them to crack. Oh and if they do, best believe the whole office will know about it! Office affairs often end up so messy!

6. Mid-day Slip-Aways
The idea seems thrilling and fun...until you two get caught in the supply closet, by your supervisor/boss!

7. Make up a fake boyfriend just so you can brag about your real boyfriend
SO, I'm on the fence with this idea. It seems fool-proof. Until somehow people get the talking and the information reaches your in-office mate Bob that you're in love with some guy named George. Even if you tell them it's made up, a person can give you the side-eye and wonder if George is real. (I don't put anything past anyone though so maybe my imagination is just pessimistic).

8. DON'T DO IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT!!!
I know attraction is hard to avoid, hence these tips, but if you can keep it cool at work and not get involved you're probably better off unless you can keep it out of sight!


Note: These are just my tips based on personal experience. FInd below more links to articles about Workplace romance. Feel free to share stories, tips and links in the comments! Share. Subscribe. Interact with me!


Thanks for Reading.


7 Tips for Handling an Office Romance

AskMen: Deal With an Office Romance













2 comments:

  1. YOOOO I definitely violated, it ended terribly. Matter of fact I did it twice. The first time it actually got me more cheeks, she haaaaaaaad to tell everyone and once I admitted it, it was on and poppin! all the ladies were advancing.

    The second time must have been karma, I didn't want to hug and kiss in public and I was not down <<< herrrrrrt! lol she ended up smashing my mans who also worked with us and buying him some foams to make me mad. It worked, right up until she got pregnant, now im weak cause they hate each other.

    Thesis: Don't do it, you look like a hoe (male or female) if it doesn't work and if it does everyone will try to ruin you!

    ReplyDelete

Chronicles of Chronic Anxiety: 1st Entry

The hardest thing for me about having chronic anxiety, is hearing people who really only experience normal, occasional anxiety trying to tel...

Most Read